- BLACK POWER RISING
- VISION FOR BLACK LIVES
- ELECTORAL JUSTICE VOTER FUND
- TAKE ACTION
- IN THE PRESS
POLICY PLATFORM: END THE WAR ON BLACK PEOPLE
THE DEMILITARIZATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
Since 1990, the U.S. Department of Defense has transferred over $6 billion in military equipment to local law enforcement agencies, including school and campus police, through the Excess Property 1033 Grant program.
Since 1990, the U.S. Department of Defense has transferred over $6 billion in military equipment to local law enforcement agencies, including school and campus police, through the Excess Property 1033 Grant program. Military weapons, including tanks and grenade launchers, have disproportionately been deployed by SWAT Teams against Black communities in the “War on Drugs” and suppression of dissent. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) has also received at least $39 million in military equipment through the program, deploying military weapons against migrants.
- We demand an immediate ban on the use of military equipment by law enforcement and Border Patrol in all circumstances.
- We demand an immediate end to the transfer of military equipment to federal, state, and local police, and campus law enforcement agencies, and an immediate end to the use of military equipment by any law enforcement agency, including Customs and Border Patrol.
- We demand immediate disclosure of all military equipment transferred and acquired and its intended use by federal, state, and local governments.
KEY FEDERAL LEGISLATION
- H.R.7143 (To repeal the military surplus program)
- Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act
Organizations currently working on policy
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
Stay informed about our upcoming virtual events.