POLICY PLATFORM: END THE WAR ON BLACK PEOPLE
END TO ALL JAILS, PRISONS, AND IMMIGRATION DETENTION
An end to all jails, prisons, immigration detention, youth detention nd civil commitment facilities as we know them and the establishment of policies and programs to address the current oppressive conditions experienced by people who are imprisonsed.
The United States currently imprisons more human beings than any other country in the world, both in real numbers and as a percentage of the population.
The number of migrants, including children separated from their families, incarcerated in detention centers has reached record numbers. While Black people represent about 13% of the population of the U.S., we represent upwards of 40% of people caged in jails, prisons, and juvenile detention. One in 3 Black men, and 1 in 2 Black trans women, will face incarceration in their lifetimes. Black women represent the fastest growing prison and jail populations. Black disabled people are disproportionately incarcerated in youth and adult jails, prisons, detention facilities, and state “hospitals.” One in 2 Black women have an incarcerated loved one, and 1 in 9 Black children has an incarcerated parent.
Incarcerated people are subjected to endemic physical, sexual, emotional, and spiritual violence, deprivation, degradation, violation, isolation, medical abuse and neglect, and forced labor, in gross violation of their civil and human rights. Mass criminalization, incarceration, detention, and deportation have devastating, generational impacts on individuals, families, communities, and generations of Black people.
- A moratorium on all prison, jail, immigrant and youth detention construction, without an accompanying expansion of home arrest or GPS monitoring or other forms of e-carceration.
- Decommission all prisons, jails, and immigration and youth detention centers not currently imprisoning people, followed by demolition or repurposing for non-punitive purposes.
- Retroactive elimination of sentences of life without parole (LWOP) and sentences that will result in death by incarceration.
- Immediate release of all elders, people in comas, on life support, or in end of life care in prisons and jails.
- Immediate release of all political prisoners, and an end to the use of incarceration and solitary confinement as a tool of political repression..
- An end to all jails, prisons, immigration and youth detention, and civil commitment facilities.
- Additional actions are needed to reduce the daily harms faced by imprisoned people while they are incarcerated and to increase their ability to maintain their health and wellbeing while they remain imprisoned.
An end to all jails, prisons, immigration detention, youth detention and civil commitment facilities as we know them and the establishment of policies and programs to address the current oppressive conditions experienced by people who are imprisoned.
KEY FEDERAL LEGISLATION
- The People’s Justice Guarantee
- Dismantle Mass Incarceration for Public Health Act
- Prison Litigation Reform Act
- REAL Act
- MERCY Act
- Mississippi Correctional Safety and Rehabilitation Act of 2020
Organizations currently working on policy
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
Stay informed about our upcoming virtual events.
If you are called to join us, have an opportunity for aligned funding streams, or wish to make a personal gift, please contact [email protected] to connect.
The Movement for Black Lives is a fiscally sponsored 501c3 at the Alliance for Global Justice.